Wednesday, January 6, 2010
I almost forgot about my Onion Bagels
I tried onion bagels the other night, not knowing what to expect.
I soaked 2 tbs dried onions in water and then added about 1.5 tsps to the basic recipe. I would have added 1/2 tsp onion powder, too, but I was out of it.
At punchdown the dough was airy and sticky. I should have added more flour, I think. I shaped the bagels and when I put them in the pan they were very sticky. After broiling on the first side, when I tried to turn them over they reshaped. I now had a bagel on one side and something flat on the other. During boiling they were falling apart. After the egg wash I put the rest of the soaked onions on the top. They didn't cook completely and I had to keep extending the cook time. The result:
Something that looked more like a bialy instead of a bagel. However, they smell and taste great. I forgot to take a picture so I got one of the LAST one left today. Notice the lack of hole, but that makes a great place to put the onions. I'll try these again in the near future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment